Friday, May 9, 2014

World Premiere Interview: Frank Louis: the Man behind the Camera

   
Hello my brother!  So excited to do this!  said Frank Louis the talented photographer whose work have been seen everywhere!!
I have worked with the amazing Frank Louis several times and our work have been seen in British magazines, ReFresh!   
Tell me about yourself.
Hmmm, where to begin?  I’d say I’m equal parts intellect and creative.  I’m inquisitive and like to work hard and don’t feel good about myself unless I have learned something new or completed something every day.  I’m driven and focused.  My friends call me obsessive, I call me passionate; but I suppose the truth lie somewhere in the middle.  I have a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science and had a very successful career in Corporate America.  I gave it all up to be an  artist and have zero regrets.  
                                          (Frank Louis)
How did you get into Modeling?  
Wow, you really did your homework!  You are going way back.  I’d say my entire modeling career began and ended in the space of one year.  I was working in the men’s cologne department of Macy*s and someone scouted me.  I was in college at the time and thought, why not, this might be fun.  Unfortunately, it turned out to be a bit of a scam.  My parents paid like $1200 for my model “schooling”.  To be fair, they did teach me how to walk a runway.  The problem was, I was only 5’10”, so a runway model, I was not.  Additionally, back in the 90’s, being “ethnic” looking wasn’t in.  Due to my height, I was considered commercial, but due to my Italian background I was considered too ethnic and was always cast as Hispanic.  
Did you have any best or worst experience as a male model in the 1990’s?
I remember going to a photo shoot and being told that there was a hairstylist on set and not to style my hair in advance of the shoot.  At the time I had very thick curly hair.  The “stylist” had no clue what to do with it, just dumped a whole bunch of mousse into it and it looked like a greasy mess.  
The other story that comes to mind is when I went to a “casting” at a client’s apartment for a commercial job and was asked to model a thong!!!
In hindsight it was all a great experience as I learned what it felt like to be in a casting and to be in front of the lens.  I can literally remember thinking “this photographer does not know how to give good direction” and when I shoot today, I always recall how it felt to be in front of the camera instead of behind the camera.  
What agency did you represent, and what was it like working with the agency?
I’d rather not mention their name, but I do know they are no longer in business.  
No longer a Male Model turned Photographer, how did that come about with you?
My Mother bought me a camera at a young age and I was always the one to photograph our family holidays.  I had photo albums in chronological order documenting my entire childhood.  As I got older, I started shooting landscapes and had several landscape exhibits.  From there I started shooting the guys I would date exclusively in black and white.  From there, the modeling agents saw my work and asked me to test their models.  
  Who inspire you as a Fashion photographer?
The biggest inspiration I had was studying under Greg Gorman.  His portraiture is stunning.  He taught me how to see light in a completely different way.  His recognition of my work was a huge catalyst for me.  He gave me the confidence to continue.  He has shot almost every celebrity, from Raquel Welch to Brooke Sheilds to Keenu Reeves.  
From a fashion photographer’s perspective, I’d have to say Horst P. Horst. His work is so classic and Iconic.  Herb Ritts is also someone whom I study and admire.  From a more contemporary perspective I’d say I love Steven Klein, Steven Meisel, Mario Testino and the edge of  Marcus and Mert. 
Who and what kind of a female model do you look for in a photoshoot?
The first quality I look for is confidence without cockiness.  Models who lack confidence are very difficult to shoot.  For women, it starts with their eyes.  Who doesn’t love a set of high cheek bones; sweet hear lips and an arched brow?
What kind of a male model to do see for your photoshoot?
For men, it’s a combination of confidence and masculinity.  Strong jaw line, piercing eyes and a great set of abs. 
Do you have a personal favorite model you would love to work with? 
From a celebrity perspective, I love the classic beauties.  My dream celebrity  shoot would be Deborah Harry of Blondie.  Andy Warhol once said that she has the most beautiful faces in the world and I would have to agree.  She is still a remarkably stunning woman at her age. I would have also loved to have been able to shoot Elizabeth Taylor, Audrey Hepburn and Sophia Loren in their heydays.  I would also love to shoot Madonna, because she brings so much of her persona to the shoot.  From there, Angelina Joli and Scarlette Johansen would be right at the top of my list too.  From a male perspective Jude Law, Chris Pine and Cheyenne Jackson.
From a model’s perspective David Ghandy,  Jon Kortajarena , Christy Turlington and Cindy Crawford.
What do you see yourself in the next 5 years?
Hmmm… I try to let the work take me along for the ride and not be too prescriptive.  I love my work so much that it doesn’t feel like work.  I think if I could plan it out it would be boring.  Having said that, I’d like to be shooting celebrities for Vogue.  
It was great working with you in several projects and I look forward working with you more projects ahead of us. You have been a truly inspirational to work with.
It was sooo much fun working with you.  Your creative energy is off the charts and that inspires me and my work.  I can’t wait to collaborate again.   Thanks so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment