Sunday, August 26, 2018

Premiere Interview: Roberto Maya: Male Model

Image result for Roberto Maya male model
Roberto Maya: “Although the modeling industry is still better for women, there will always be a huge market for men to work as well”
I was born and raised in Guadalajara, a big city in western Mexico where I had my first bachelor in International Affairs, although I’ve always been interested in arts in all of its manifestations, photography, sculpture, painting, film, dance and music. I then moved to LA where I finished my second Bachelor this time in Arts with a degree in Film. I’m very into the entertainment industry behind and in front of the lens.
I got discovered when I was 17, I was walking at a mall and a model scout spotted me and gave me his card. At the beginning I didn’t know what to think, I was flattered that somebody would think I could be a model, I really never saw modeling as a real job, so I thought about it for a while and decided to contact them.
Then I got my first test shooting, I was very comfortable, I think I was more comfortable than I was supposed to be, the photographer kept asking me to relax and not to pose so much, I was so unaware of how to pose in front of the camera that I see those pictures now and I hate them I would never show them to anybody.
I love when a photographer knows what he wants, that makes a shoot so much easier, smooth and most important: quick. When I know I’m having a photo shoot I watch what I eat a couple days before and keep my exercise routine, focusing on the light dinners which personally helps me a lot in getting a shredded looking before a photo shoot. Also sleeping well helps making look your body healthy and your face too.
I actually don’t mind being naked for a photo shoot, sometimes you have to do it, that’s why you’re a model. In fact, love artistic nude, I love human body form, it’s a piece of art itself, so if you have a beautiful body why not portraying it for the history.
It’s always fun in every photo shoot either you’re with a group of models or with one photographer but I have this very funny experience with this photographer who’s very eccentric, he kept forgetting what we were doing or suddenly lose sense of time and shoot for hours, He’s a very talented photographer and really good friend of mine, but the situations when we shoot together are so hilarious I always end up with stomach pain for laughing non stop.
I started walking the runways since very young. At the beginning I was so nervous but when you put in your mind that the protagonist is not you but the clothes you’re portraying, then the dynamic of you in the runway changes.
Image result for Roberto Maya male model
You have to show the clothes you’re wearing without losing your good pose and attitude but also without forgetting the designs are the soul of the night. I’ve walked so far with a bunch of talented designers: Emporio Armani, Hugo Boss, Diesel, Custo Barcelona, Just Cavalli, Sweet & Gabbana, etc.
When I’m walking the runway I only focus on one spot, I try not to think a lot be cause I get distracted easily, so I just focus my vision on one single spot.
Female models x Male Models: who rules?
I think although the modeling industry is still better for women, there will always be a huge market for men to work as well. If you’d ask me when I first started modeling if I’d thought I could survive modeling I’d have said definitely NO, Now I know if you are disciplined and smart in the industry you can do very well, but still not as well as women do.
So, I think male models get a lot of attention lately as well, men are starting to be more fashion conscious and that opens more market in men’s fashion and more opportunity for male models to work.
Any role model as an inspiration for your career?
There’s a bunch of girls that I can mention and the fact that I remember their names and faces means that they have provoked some admiration in me: I can mention Natasha Poly, Stella Tenant, Elsa Benitez, Liliana Dominguez, Sasha Pivovarova, Lily Donaldson, Lara Stone and lately Cara Delevigne. I won’t mention guys cause they’re all my competition lol.

And what about the black models into this industry?
Black models are everywhere in the US and in the world! Which I love because I have a fascination for any person of any race that is aesthetically harmonious and beautiful.

Roberto´s style: a fashionista?
I follow fashion a lot since I work so close to it, I love a nice pair of skinny jeans and some nice boots, I like low rise neck shirts, leather jackets and lately watches. I’m also a fan of shorts in warm days, moccasins and nice fabric in shirts. But my real obsessions are sunglasses!
Just imagine u a famous models surrounded by a huge crowd. How you´d handle it?
Well, it really depends if they’re just trying to hug me and kiss me I would just give all the love back. If they’re asphyxiating me I would more likely run away to save my life.

Dating x Loving
I’m very outgoing but shy at the same time, I like to get what I want and discretely work my way through it. My favorite date is definitely in nature, healthy food, nice relaxing music and lots of conversation. In love I’m a home boy. I love cuddling, being home and cuddling , stay in and cuddle, watch a movie and cuddle, cook and cuddle, work in home stuff and did I mention cuddling? :)
Image result for Roberto Maya male model
Sports
Running, soccer, kayaking, rafting, extreme sports and gym.

If you could have a super power what would it be?
To fly defintely, I honestly don’t care what my neighbors are doing and there are some people I would definitely hate seeing naked so I don’t want to see through walls. Flying I could save me so much time and money, no traffic, no stress and I love nice airplane views.

Who’s your favorite superhero?
Superman, In fact I have a tattoo in a secret area of my body with the Superman’s “S”
Image result for Roberto  Maya   2018 male model
What is the dumbest think you’ve ever heard a model say?
“I’m going to beat you up and I’m going to get that job”

Atracting someone´s attention
Looking straight to the eyes.

Having fun, enjoying life
I have fun so easily; just put a bunch of my friends together and some beers and fun will happen for sure! Although I also love being out in nature, running in the beach, hiking in the hills, horse riding (and I’m a pro), camping and taking a guitar is also on my top list. When I’m in the city I love going to fashion events, Contemporary dance every time there’s a good show, art exhibitions and independent films and documentaries.
Going out with friends to new restaurants and hanging out in bars, I enjoy bars more than clubs because I’m a talker in LA West. I hang out in West Hollywood-Sunset Strip, in NY I stick to Meat packing area and around and Miami anywhere where the best DJ is playing.
Image result for Roberto  Maya    male model

The craziest (nastiest?) in a summer time season
I must confess I ate a Hot Dog from a street vendor in NY, I thought I was never going to do it but oh well. This summer I did some really crazy (nasty) things but I really can’t say it publicly hahaha!
If you could have a super power what would it be?
Being invisible.

Who’s your favorite superhero?
Superman, In fact I have a tattoo in a secret area of my body with the Superman’s “S”

what is the dumbest think you’ve ever heard a model say? (lol)
“I’m going to beat you up and I’m going to get that job”
In your IPOD
I love Björk, she’s in the top of my favorite singers. My iPod plays Radiohead, Sasha, John Digweed, Lana Del Rey, Zoe, Portishead, Carla Morrison, Apparatus, PNAU, Buddha Bar. So long story short: alternative, trip hop, electronic, progressive house, down time, world music and some pop when I feel it.

Food
Thai NUMBER ONE! I also love Tacos al pastor, mexican seafood and all Asian food you name it!

Fav underwear for daily activities and for those coooool sexy moments :)
I love Armani designs in underwear and I wear it all the time for daily activities because you never know when a sexy moment may cross your way.
Fav body part and why
I like my shoulders just be cause I’ve worked so hard to get them.

Guilty pleasure
Cheesecake-flan

If you weren´t a model you´d be…
When I’m not a model I’m recording videos and doing some figures in clay
An unforgettable moment
When I saw my family after a year without seeing them, I was so busy with work and they were too and we have never separated before for so long, The reencounter was a great moment.

The Projects
I’ve done a couple projects lately that I feel happy for. I’m filming currently a documentary as a DP and will start shooting my new upcoming fashion-art project in photography so stay tuned for more details to come. Also will be the new image of a beer company.
I recently shot a commercial for a luxury car that I can’t disclose the name until it comes out on TV, I also shot a video with Paris Hilton where I’m the model for her video, it’s for her upcoming new song and it’s a really fun vídeo. You will be able to check it out by the beginning of October.

Motto
Everybody wants to live in the top of the mountain without knowing that joy it’s found in the way it’s climbed.
Related imageImage result for Roberto Maya male model

No comments:

Post a Comment