Monday, October 16, 2017

Interview with male model Jack Ellis

London based, English model Jack Ellis talks model misconceptions and Dj-ing in this hot interview!
Profession: Model / former Fitness Model.
Agencies: First Model Management.
Milestones: Braun, Diesel.
Current location: London
 
How did you first get into modeling? And how long have you been modeling?
I first got into modelling whilst I was at University in Bristol. I was scouted by a local agency (Gingersnap Model Management) and being born in Torquay, a small seaside town in the South West, it had never been an option to model. I had a few test shoots and a couple of small jobs before thinking that I would quite like to give it a go in London. I sent the images from previous shoots to agencies in London and found myself dropping out of University and following what felt like the right thing to do; move to London and start afresh. I’ve now been in London for just over a year and loved every second of the journey so far.
 
What was your first big job? 


My first big job was a campaign for Braun. A cooked breakfast on arrival and a day shooting with a very professional and talented team taught me a lot of what happens on a shoot with a large budget! I’m still waiting on the release of the images (of course) but hopefully they’ll be out soon. It was also good to get my first cover shoot with the cover of Shortlist Magazine, which was a really interesting shoot having an eighty miles per hour wind gun shot in my face to create a ‘g-force’ effect (Left)!


What are the pros of being a model?
Personally, the main positive about being a model is the lack of structure and routine. Some see it as as negative but for me I like the fact that every day is different. Meeting different people every day, from all different backgrounds, from all over the world, learning different cultures and ways of thinking. The lifestyle has given me a much broader view.
 
Have you always been aware of your appeal? 


Not really, I didn’t think of modelling as an option because I was more academic and sporty at school, rather than creative or arty. It just kind of happened as I opened the right doors.
What do you do to stay in shape?
Since sixteen I have been going to the gym and in 2014 I competed in two fitness competitions, but then decided to go down the modelling route was recommended to slim down. I dropped just under two stone over a year by doing more of a conditioning type training instead of hypertrophy. I walk around a lot for casting and don’t eat many starchy carbohydrates or sweets and chocolate. Being used to following such strict diet and training plans in the past, it isn’t hard to keep to a good diet and training routine now. I try to keep to a routine with my diet as it helps to keep my measurements consistent.
Jack Ellis Male model Interview
What is the biggest misconception about the modelling industry?


There are lots of misconceptions about the industry. One is that every model or fashion creative is lacking braincells. Most of the successful individuals in the creative industry are all very intelligent and there is a lot for a model to think about on a shoot other than their physical appearance. Getting the right angles, expression and being able to see yourself from the other side of the lens is as easy as it may seem. Also an important misconception is that all models look like they do in the images that are taken. Being a model is about being a canvas to work on for the photographer and creative team, no one is perfect! Measurements and sizes are very important but the misconception is that everyone can be those sizes. Models aren’t small because all of them have eating disorders, most were born with very proportionate sizes or were naturally small and whilst living a healthy lifestyle, they are the size they need to be to fit clothes, in the most flattering way.
 
What are your other passions outside of modeling? 


Outside of modelling I like to live life. I often travel to see friends and spend a lot of time in the London parks in the summer. I DJ, currently as a hobby and love listening to and mixing music. (Soundcloud: WAYpath) I often spend my evenings talking to like minded people about life; I find it helps to give me a clearer picture on what I need to do to achieve my goals. I make the most of living by the River Thames by going for runs and walks along it and
What are your favorite hang out spots in the city you live in (current location)? 


London is a great city to live in for nightlife. In the summer the roof top bars have really good vibes, Aqua and Radio to name a couple. There are perks available for models in the West End and Mayfair clubs but I usually stick to the electronic/house scene for music; Egg London or Studio 338 are my usuals. The parks in London are perfect from escaping the urban atmosphere and in the summer they are packed with everyone enjoying the temperamental English weather. I am a sucker for Sushi and there are some great restaurants but I haven’t found one with a view over looking the city quite like Sushi Samba. An amazing view makes eating food or drinking so much more entertaining.
 

What do you think MODELLIST-ID can do for the model community? 


Modellist-ID gives the opportunity for models to network around the world. Find out which members are where in the world and have the opportunity to ask for any advice that they may need. It also allows people to read blogs about the model lifestyle, fashion, grooming or beauty products that have been written by models around the world.
Jack Ellis Male Model Interview
What is your advice to aspiring models? 


My advice would be not to take too much advice because every journey for a model is quite different. There are different routes that a model can go down, the biggest being the fashion world or the commercial world. It’s about finding the right agency for you, that believe they can get you work because your look is what their clients preferences are. Make the most of the free time and rooms full of people you have never met before and enjoy it along the way.
Is there any brand you would love to model for? 


No particular brand sticks out ahead of the rest. I respect any brand with good values but would like to do a big watch/fragrance campaign.
Any specific plans for the future? 


I have a few ideas for the future but nothing definite and I don’t believe it should be, especially in this industry. Things can happen on a day to day basis that changes your weekly and monthly plans so I am not planning too far ahead or putting time frames on things just doing what I have to do day to day to achieve the ideas that I have for the future. I would like to do a season in Milan, New York and Asia at some point. Having just moved to a new agency with my agent/booker, things have moved in the right direction for me so far and the ideas for the future are becoming more set in stone. I also am spending some time working on personal projects with photographers and creative directors looking to express some of my creative ideas instead of always modelling other peoples and my ambition from a young age was to have my own business which I am starting to get some ideas onto paper.
Thank you for being interested in my blog!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment