Saturday, February 14, 2015

World Premiere Interview: Brian Shimansky

World Premiere Interview
  by Christopher Uvenio
Please tell us about yourself and what you do?

I was born and raised in New Jersey, and I’ve been modeling for six years, I’m currently with Soul Artist Management in New York. 
Do you find the pressures of working in your industry significant with regard to feeling the need to have a “perfect” body?  If so, how do you navigate through that terrain?  How do you “not” judge yourself when others (critics, audience members, producers, etc.) “judge” you based on outward measures?

I don’t feel significant industry pressure to “have a perfect body”.   As a former college athlete, healthy eating and staying fit have long been top priorities in my life. They helped my transition into this business. 


The people who need to judge will do so, its either their job or their insecurity, there’s no stopping it and it’s a waste of time to dwell on.  I love what I do and look forward to the next challenge, if pressure mounts, I focus on my priorities and my strengths, have fun, and hope for the best.   



What made you want to get involved with Mental Fitness, Inc.?

A desire to help people discover their self-worth and build confidence. 

Who were the role models in your life?

My mom and dad, Gram, and uncle Bill were the most influential early on. 


What do you define as beautiful?

Time and laughter with those you love.

How do you define inner beauty?

People who keep their word, who actually listen to you, who actually connect with you.

What is happiness?

Laughing to tears with friends.  Rediscovering an activity you love.  Realizing the time you put into something was worth
it. 
 
How do you manage your stress levels in daily life?  Do you use music, art, or dance, etc. as a coping tool?  Are there other things that you do to live mindfully?

Hobbies, sports, activities, art, music, dance; I use them all.  I love to make chili or bake my slightly-famous granola for friends and family.  I love being outside- whether its at the park or backpacking on the Appalachian Trail.
 
It is so important to always create things; recently I’ve rediscovered my passion for woodworking and its been such a positive force in my life. I use it to help people organize their living spaces and build furniture.  Think about what you love to build with your hands and go for it.  

How do you find a work-life balance — as a man, relationships, a professional — what are keys to balance?

I balance work and life by communicating with my friends, family, and agents. There is always a phone call you can make to help somebody or help yourself. 
In this tech-fueled social-media-frenzied world we’re in, its easy to forget to actually talk to the people you love and care about- and although emoji’s tell epic stories and make for great Twitter comments, there’s no substitute for the voice of someone who loves you. 

Other thoughts?

Next time you need to buy something, see if you can build it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment