Tuesday, January 13, 2015

World Premiere Interview: The Fashion World of Larry Underwood



The FashionWorld of Larry Underwood


By Christopher Uvenio
Tell Me about yourself?!
New York based menswear designer of Underwood NY for over 25 years. My cients range from recording artist Darryl D’Boneau , Zeime, Rob Johnson and designing looks for R&B group Day 26 on BET’s 106 & Park. Most resent works include a 5 page spread in Urban Ink Magazine designs worn by Gotinkboyz. Along with several other fashion publications. I am currently putting final touches on my Fall 2015 line.
 
(The Fabulous Designer Larry Underwood)

Where did you learn to study Fashion design?
I never went to school for fashion design. When I was young I started by splitting a garment in half. Taking apart one have to use as my pattern and the other half as my guide.
 


And what background design position hav eyou worked for?
Just myself
 


How long have you been a fashion designer?
I started designing in 1988 so 27 years.
 


You consider Yourself a Menswear or Womenswear Designer and why?

I am a menswear designer because I enjoy the challenge of making a man look aware of his inner style.



What does fashion mean to you?
Another way of life’s expression
Fashion Is the expression and creatitvy of ones ability to merge the way they feel on the inside to the way they look on the outside. It also doesn’t hurt to put on a Great outfit when your feeling blue !!!!


What is your favorite part about being a fashion designer?
Creating new designs & looks that encourage men to dare to be different & unique. Also the feeling I get from seeing others wearing my clothing.
How do you describe your fashions and style?
Vintage meets urban meets couture


 


What skills are important for a successful career in fashion design?
Knowledge of fabric, construction & function of putting it all together.





In what general area of design do you work or wish to work?
I love creating the design & putting together the samples (sewing)




Have you done anything to further your skills and/or experiences?
I am taking fashion business classes at the New School. 



Tell me about the most fun you've had on a job as a Fashion Designer?
I love to put together fashion events to show my collections. I also enjoy working with clients in the music industry coming up with looks that marriage their music style


Tell me about a professional disappointment.
My first big fashion show I was to nerves to speak to the press after the show.
                          

How do you stay up to date with fashion?
Research





What is it like working for yourself now and who is your dream client?
I love having the free license to be creative. My dream client is Pharrell Williams.





When did you realize you wanted to become a fashion designer and illustrator?
I realized at the age of 15 when I did not like the clothing sold in stores. I use to make my own changes to make them look different & unique




Who are some of your favorite designers of the past and present?


Patrick Kelly, Willie Smith, Jean Paul Gaultier



How long have you worked as a designer? 

30 years

Larry Underwood1290028_188679737980392_928546103_n
What matters to you most as a fashion designer?



Staying true to who I am as a
 designer &
 a person


What's your favorite part about conceptualizing a design?
Watching the end results come all together. When that Underwood NY tag is put on the garment.
 


What advice do you have for aspiring fashion designers?
Never rush, fashion design is not a race with the person next to you. And Always continue to learn something new everyday.


What do you dislike about designing clothes?


The drama & kayos !! 


How would you define your personal style?
 
Urban couture

How would you define the style your line exemplifies?
 My clothing emphasizes an image and personal style that exudes individuality & confidence. Interpreting fashion for the contemporary man.


Where do you get your inspiration? 
My inspiration comes for old classic movies & actors. Also music inspires me..

What are some of your favorite fashion websites, magazines, or books? 

Underwood.blogspot.com, christopheruveniodesign.blogspot. Style.com and Men's Vogue.
 

Where do you see yourself the next 5 years?
Having my own design house (House of Underwood NY ) !!!!




Thank you Larry! Can't wait to see your fashion show soon!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on a remarkable find and interview with one of NYC's best kept Made to Appeal Menswear Designers. Also kudos to using my picture as one of his past fit models. I think that's AWESOME...!

    ReplyDelete