Sunday, November 23, 2014

World Premiere Interview: David Filipiak

When did you first become interested in modeling?

I first became interested in modeling when i finished receiving my college degree believe it or not.  My father is a CPA and my brother a lawyer, I saw the stress levels in their professions and the long hours and that simply didn’t appeal to me.  Thus, I began seeking an alternative avenue of work.


When did you know you wanted to get involved with modeling as a career?

After the first few months of being in this industry I noticed that it pays very well and I could have a long prosperous career basically to stay healthy and in shape at the same time.


What was the first agency you worked with?

The first agency I signed with was in Los Angeles with Nous Model Management.  I had gone on several interviews to different agencies and made the best decision appropriate to what I desired.


Describe to us the feeling you had on your first photo shoot.


To be honest I had no idea what I was doing haha.  It was very confusing on what the photographer wanted and how I was going to give him the shots he needed.  After the first one it came very easily and very comfortable.


You’ve gone to The University of California in San Diego and Santa Barbara and University of California. What did you study while you were there?

During my time at both Universities I studied business finance and international economics because I know how important it is to have a knowledgable base of how our economic and political structure operates.


You’re currently involved in athletics and foreign currency trading. What kind of athletics? How long have you been involved with foreign currency trading?

I have played baseball my whole life and received scholarships all over the country to play in college and now that I don’t play competitively anymore I still enjoy throwing the ball around with friends and playing football and basketball as good fun exercises.  As for the currency trading, I used my knowledge gained in college and applied it to the currency market.  You would be surprised which economic factors can drastically influence the trends of currencies around the world.


What is your advice to aspiring models?

My advice simply is know what your getting into and always have a back up plan because this industry is very inconsistent and ironically affected by the global economies situation. I.e. If the money supply is low and consumer spending is dropping, less profits to the corporations, less money means less products, less products means less advertising which affects the modeling industry dramatically.


Can you tell us the most exciting moment in your career? And looking back, what was the hardest?

The most exciting moment was probably when I booked a job for the new Disney resort in Hawaii and was able ton spend 10 days in paradise and only worked for a few hours the entire trip.  Basically it was an amazing vacation while getting paid.

The hardest jobs are the online look books because they are long days that involve 100’s of wardrobe changes and minimal pay haha.


Are there any questions you often get asked as a model?

The most frequent questions I get asked are typically how long I’ve been modeling and for what companies(clients) I’ve worked for.


If you hadn’t become a model, what else do you think you would be doing?

 If I never began a career in this industry I would most likely be in the financial planning industry and hating my life haha.  Ultimately, my profession now allows me to have a lot of time off while still enjoying life and making a successful living from it.


You’ve worked with the KULT Model Agency,  Elite Model Management , Directions USA, Sight Management Studio, and most recently the  Abercrombie & Fitch clothing line. What else do you have planned in the future?

One can never predict what will happen in the future but my ultimate goal is to be happy.  What I mean by that is that I want to have a family and be able to support them and give them everything they deserve and being a father is most important to me more than anything.David Filipiak

No comments:

Post a Comment