Tuesday, July 8, 2014

World Premiere Interview: Lauren Schumann

 
French & Gorgeous: Super Model

 Lauren Schumann 
 By Christopher Uvenio
       Tell me about yourself and where are you from and how it brought you to New York, the  Fashion Capital of the World? 
Living in the city that never sleeps has always been a dream for me, even if I have never been there, I knew I will end up in New York City one day or another! I am originally from Paris, France and moved to the US right after I got my high school diploma from France and went to college in Virginia. This State was not really a good match for me so after I a few months of learning English, I started thinking about transferring to another State. But about a year and a half ago, I met a photographer who offered me to shoot, for fun I guess, and I actually ended up having a lot of fun! Then I met another photographer who tested me in order to place me in a mother agency based in Richmond, VA, Kim Alley Models. We automatically clicked and she told me she would place me in  an agency anywhere I wanted in the US. I automatically though of NYC and two months after I signed with her, I signed with Images Movement and moved in the City! Woop woop! It all happened pretty fast and I actually never thought I would end up modeling and living in NYC ever in my life!
        When was it that you got started becoming a gorgeous French Super Model and how did it come about? 
"Gorgeous French Super Model?"I Love it, but you should stop being so flattering Christopher! (it always makes me laugh and genuinely happy when you say this!) I accidentally answered this in the first question, but as I said, I met a photographer and shot with him since I was a little bored in VA and I am always open to try new things, so I decided to give it a shot. And well, I liked it a lot! So then this other photographer, John tested me and asked me if I would like to take it more seriously. It sounded like a fun experience to me, so he introduced me to Kim Alley, and international model from the 80's who now has her own mother agency in Richmond, VA and places model around the US. I signed with her and she sent me to a lot of different agencies here in NYC. I ended up signing with Images Management and have been signed with them for almost ten months now! :))

You were born in France?
I was born in France, yes my dear. Born and raised in Paris and  the suburb. I moved around a lot but never went to far away from the capital. I left France when I was 18 to move to the US! Oh yeahhh!

  Tell us about yourself: Why do you want to work as a model? Why are you interested in this career?   
This is a great question, and to be honest, when the opportunity came to me, I did not think it will become a real job! But I really like the way it turned out and I love my job! Being lucky and having the opportunity to work as a model is the greatest experience I have had so far! We get to meet a lot of interesting, smart and fun people, as well as working with amazing and creative minds. It is such a great feeling to work on a project and share the whole experience of creating something different, new. As a model, it is even more exciting since I get to be "in the middle" and represents the whole team. Designers, stylists, make up artists, hairstylists, photographers, assistants and everybody on the set are trusting me in representing them and it feels amazing to be there and show the whole idea put together. Love it more and more as time is passing by!

When you get offered a shoot from a photo shoot, what kind of preparation do you need to do for modeling?  
Shave, clean face and hair! Clean clean! HAHA! Is this too straight forward and too much information? More seriously, this is it. Just a good night sleep and I am all ready to go for a fun day of "work!" As soon as I arrive on set, there will be people to take care of me and make me look good, so not so much preparation for me (which is perfect since I am pretty lazy when it come to do makeup and hair! lol).

What was it like doing your first photo shoot - scary, interesting, exciting, glamorous, sexy? -
Hmmm I like this question Chris! I would say a mix of all that. i was impressed an extremely shy, but excited at the same time to experience something new and different. I have always stood as far away as possible from the front of the camera but loved taking pictures, so all these lights and that lens pointing at me was a little scary. the photographer was super cool, so it did not take me long to become more relaxed and actually have fun. :)
                            
What's the funniest or weirdest thing that's ever happened to you during a photo shoot? 
So many fun stories to tell, but nothing really weird or crazy ever happened, so I will not be the best answering this question. One funny thing that happened once, when I was shooting an editorial around the Flatiron building in New York. It was me and a male model shooting (love shooting with guys, they are a lot of fun to work with, and they are pretty good looking as well-hehehe). People, mostly tourists, would stop by and take pictures of the set, probably thinking we were doing something big, and we could hear some of them talking and asking who we were. While a little break, someone came up to me and asked to take a picture with him. I felt really special and it was fun to see someone thinking we could be important people!

What companies have you modeled for? 
I have modeled for my friends' T shirtline, Mepadi then Piperlime, Jerry Kaye, Zara, Michael De Paulo, Warren Tricomi Salon, Amazon.com and Lancome to cite the most popular compies to work for.
Who are your favorite Designers?
My favorite designers are Rick Owens, Balenciaga, Alexander Wang and Rag and Bone.

Who are your least favorite Designers?
That, I have no idea!

What would you not wear in Public?
Flip flop with socks, you will never see me wearing these together! :V
How do you keep up to date with Fashion?
I read different fashion blogs and look at the fashion magazines. A lot of people I know and friends are in this industry, so I mostly keep up with them.

Do you have a fashion model inspiration, like the 90's supermodels of Linda, Christy, Naomi, Claudia, or Cindy? You have it all!
Haha! I love them all. More recent models, I love Coco Rocha and Feja Beha! They are both really different but they are definitely my favorites.
 Do you eat nutritiously? How often do you exercise or go to the gym? 
Well, except when we get to eat amazing Italian cuisine from Shirley Cavallo's kitchen, I tend to eat pretty healthy I think. I love juices and smoothies, which always fill me up with energy in the morning, and I have been pesquetarian for almost 3 years now. Then, I am a sandwich whore (pardon my French )! I also love good gastronomy, so every once in a while, I love to go to good restaurants and enjoy great meals. NYC has so much to offer when it comes to cuisine! Filipino, Thai, Hawaiian and Japanese Cuisines are my favorites! I am not good when it comes to exercising. It not that I don't like it, I love it, but it is hard for me to start. I walk a lot every day, running around the city and try to workout at least 2 or 3 times a week.

What do you do in leisure/spare time? 
When it comes to free time, it really does not matter what I do, i like everything as long as I am surrounded by the people I like. During the weekend, I go to Central Park with my friends and we just chill all day, relaxing and talking. I would go to a bar or a coffee to catch up with friends, and I like to go out at night when I am off to have a good time.

What advice would you give a newbie who's just starting in the industry - any suggestions on what to do or what to avoid?
That is a good question. I consider myself a newbie since my first "professional picture" was take a year and a half ago, but what I can say is that things go you way when you are being yourself, optimistic and show some confidence. Things turn out so much better when you enjoy everything you do. I always do my best and enjoy the moment, because you never know what can come across.
What is your favorite Fashion magazine?
I would say W is my favorite. 

What do you do when you're not modeling?
I work private events, go out with my friends, enjoy my dog and try to go workout.

 Who are you inspiration in life?
There is a lot of inspirational people around the world and there are lessons and advice to take from everybody. People that are inspiring to me are the ones I will stick and get closer to. They are really helping me in becoming a better person.
You have anything you would like to say at the end of the interview?
Well, thank you for caring about me and interview me, Christopher! Working with you was a real pleasure and I am looking forward to discover your upcoming Coffee Table book and turn page by page to discover each and every piece you have created with creative people who shared this experience with you.
0h, and you are To Die For!!! xoxox Bisous bisous!! 


You have been tremendously amazing and I adore you like crazy doing the making of the Uvenio Coffee table book! This Interview is Part 1 of 2...Thank you Lauren! Muah! xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment