Wednesday, April 9, 2014

World Premiere: David Vance: Master of Photography

 World Premiere Exclusive Interview 
  by Christopher Uvenio   
For more than 30 years, David Vance has enjoyed a successful career photographing advertising and editorial assignments for Cosmopolitan, Entertainment Weekly, Interview, Men's Health, Rolling Stone, Tennis, Uomo and Harper's Bazaar, Italia. 
Among his clients are Revlon, Rolex, Sony, Atlantic and Island Records, Time-Life, Doubleday, Coca-Cola, Panama Jack, Kodak , Lions Gate and Miramax films. 

One of his first assignments was photographing the cast of the original successful Broadway production of "Oh! Calcutta." The amazing David Vance have done such international celebrity portraits including  Bea Arthur, Toni Braxton, 
Gloria Estefan, Daisey Fuentes, Andy Garcia, Sophia Loren, Ricky Martin, Johnny Mathis, Luciano Pavarotti, Iggy Pop, and Dionne Warwick to name a few. Along with Sports figures include Billy Bean, Chris Evert, Mitch Gaylord, Greg Louganis, Don Mattingly, and Mary Pierce to name a few.

An alumnus of Rochester Institute of Technology, David continues his international work and maintains his studio base in his hometown of Miami. He also have had over 5 beautiful coffee table book published including Visions and 8 anthologies. David have also photographed some of the most well-known international male models: Leonardo Corredor, Paul Francis, Bo Roberts, Trever Adams and Benjamin Godfrey.
Few photographers out there in the world are as diverse as the talented David Vance, while maintaining his distinctive style while crossing from artistic to commercial. The images below are a collection gathered from the artists creative work over the years featuring a collection of amazing poses and incredible light.

David Vance photographed the iconic Singer Dionne Warwick in release a duet album, 'Feels So Good,' in May 2014.  
With hints of classical style, David Vance manages to capture so much in the click of a button, whether that be the essence of masculinity, or the innocence of the subject. All of his models appear timeless and perfect, captured in a single moment and immediately frozen, to be remembered at the split second as the immaculate example of male beauty they are.
I am thrilled to finally interview one of the world's famous photographer, David Vance! I have always admired your work and your coffeetable books are amazing!
Tell me about yourself...

How did you get yourself into the World of photography?

I got into drawing when I was about 10… by the time I was 14 my parents decided to entice me toward photography thinking it would be a more substantial career.
Did you go to school to study photography?
Yes. I graduated from Rochester Institute of Technology with a BFA.                       
    

How would you describe your style in photography?
I think it’s like classic fashion portraiture. Even though I shoot a lot of nudes, they still have a fashion look.
DAVID VANCE

How long have you been in photography? 
Over 40 years.
One of  your first assignments was photographing the cast of the original successful Broadway  "Oh! Calcutta, " what was it like? Exciting, nervewreaking? 
Yes. It was all of that, and my first assignment in NYC. It was winter and I traveled with a large trunk full of equipment.

Did you grow up into reading Fashion magazine to inspire 
photography?
Yes . My mother was into style and I loved the work of Richard Avedon and Horst.


Who are your favorite, inspiring photographers?
Well certainly Avedon, but I really get more inspiration from paintings and sculpture. I have studied art my entire life.
You have done beautiful work with beautiful men, who are the easiest male models to work with and who is the hardest male models to work with? 
Tough to answer. Easy… those who are confident and uninhibited and don’t take themselves too seriously. Those who are uptight and too conservative are more work.

What was it like meeting the fabulous my favorite Italian Icon, Sophia Loren? 
It was really very casual and fun… She was charming, but I didn’t get a lot of one on one time with her… it was a commercial shoot so not my most creative experience.
How did it come about working with the Ms. Loren, what was she like?
She was the spoke person for a condo complex in Miami and I was working with the advertising agency to create some ads to run in magazines.


And the amazing Luciano Pavarotti ? Ricky Martin?  

Pavarotti was photographed between acts during the opera TOSCA. He was definitely a force… very egotistical and demanding… but what a great experience to even just meet him.
I photographed Ricky Martin for a magazine out of L.A. called ESTYLO. It was during a press junket. He’s been doing interviews and photo shoots for many magazines over a 2 day period… He had a routine of poses that were very energetic, but I was afraid that everyone’s photos would look the same so I managed to get a shot of him lying down on a couch… a serious portrait along with the typical smiling magazine cover image.\


How exciting that you have worked with two gorgeous models of  Leonardo Corredor and Paul Francis, tell me about what it is like shooting them?  And what are different between shooting them?
Both very beautiful… Leo is very controlling in front of the camera…not so easy to direct because he is so creative. He likes to do his own thing… and he does it very well. Because of this I think he will be an even better photographer because he knows what he wants to see.

Paul is a bit more laid back but equally talented as a model… and such a beautiful face and body to photograph.
And want to thank you for your time with my interview and I look forward to seeing more of your amazing photography!  


 The International photographer David Vance sell prints of his work of art and some books on his  print website. When people purchasethe David Vance work, it gives him the freedom to shoot more beautiful images and he also have a blog with many magnificent posts!  

Thank you very much. I am grateful for your interest in my work..It’s a major passion for me and I’ve happy to share it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment