Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Y&R's SuperStar Icon: Tracey Bregman


Tracey E. Bregman has made a name for herself as department store heiress Lauren Fenmore on The Young and the Restless. She first played the role -- for which she won a Daytime Emmy in 1984 -- from 1983-1995, returning in 2001 -- and she is still there in 2016!

Born in Munich, Germany, Bregman lived in London, England until the age of 10 before relocating to Southern California. She studied acting with Francis Lederer at American National Academy of Theater Arts and at the Lee Strasberg Institute, and currently studies with Gene Bua and Ivana Chubbuck.
Bregman launched her acting career as Donna Temple Craig on Days of Our Lives. Other television credits include the afterschool special "The Girl with E.S.P.," and the television movies "Three on a Date" and "Sex and Mrs. X."  In addition, she was a series regular on Second Family Tree with Ann Archer and James Spader, and guest-starred on the TV series The Fall Guy, Gavilan, Fame and The Love Boat.
Bregman also has co-written the children's book When I Dream... with Toni Bull Bua.
Here are 30 facts you should know about Bregman – which she revealed in an exclusive interview:
1. Born: Munich, Germany
2. Hometown: London, England and, now, Malibu, Calif.
3. Nickname: I had several actually.  My mom used to call me Mugwump. Actually, I don't know where she got it from. It's Indian. It translates to "leader of the tribe."  And all my dance friends used to call me Galaxy. When I was a teenager and I was dancing, I was part of this dance group.
They all called me Galaxy.
4. What were you like in high school?: It's very funny, because I went to an event with my dear friend Gina Rugolo-Judd, who is an actress/manager, and someone asked that same question. She started telling a story and I was like, "Oh, my God. I am never going to live this down." We went to a girls' school.
I've known her from seventh grade. I moved here from the U.K. in the middle of the fifth grade. In seventh grade, I went to Westlake School for Girls, which is now Harbor-Westlake.
Because I had just come from England and I spent my entire life in uniform -- to this day I have a problem wearing grey and white -- it was all I wore. Instead of just having a skirt option on the uniform, they had pants. I was the only one in school that wore the pants. Because I had just come from England, I used to wear these scarves that were sort of like an ascot. I don't know how my mother let me go to school that way. My English accent was leaving.
So she was telling the story. I was very proper for my English upbringing. I always felt like I was on the edge of the two groups. I was part of the popular girls clique, but never felt like I was 100 percent in it. I also had one foot in the nerd group.
5. How are you different now?: I'm probably the same. I'm one foot in the nerd and one foot in the popular.
6. Favorite books: Beach Music from Pat Conroy. I'm reading a wonderful, wonderful book right now called The Eighty Dollar Champion.
7. Favorite Movies: When Harry Met Sally, Terms of Endearment
Related image
8. Prime Time TV shows: That's a hard one.
I have a guilty pleasure. After I record 60 Minutes, 20/20, and of course, The Young and the Restless, my guilty pleasure is Long Island Medium.
9. Favorite Actor/Actress: I love John Cusack and Leonardo DiCaprio. Then, I love Sandra Bullock.
10. Favorite Song: In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel.
11. Do you watch sports?: I only watch my son, Landon, play basketball. He's the power forward for his school, for varsity basketball. I have sports ADD. I just can't watch it. Except my son. I can always watch my son. 
12. Favorite Workout: Riding my horse and I do Pilates.
13. Hobbies: Dressage, and hiking. I ride my horse five to six days a week.
14. Favorite Charity: I donate a lot to very diverse companies. Operation Smile. March to the Top. A lot of animal charities as well.
15. Favorite food: Pizza. My favorite is a gluten-free crust at Spruzzo's.
That's a little restaurant out by us [Malibu] that has the best gluten-free pizza ever.
16. Before you became an actress, did you have any odd jobs?: I've been working since I was 11, but during the actor's strike, I did retail. Oh, my. God. It was standing eight hours a day that I find unbelievable. I have true respect for people in retail. I worked at Shannon's. My friend is Marvin Shannon. He was friends with my parents and he had a store in Westwood. I think I was horrible. I'm pretty sure I was horrible, but he was nice because he knew my family.
17. First big break:  Days of our Lives when I was 14.
18. Tattoos:  I can tell you what it is; I just can't tell you where it is. It's a very small, flying angel holding a red heart. I got it for my 30th birthday. I thought it was very radical.
19. Favorite story line for Lauren: I think the coming together of Michael and Lauren, especially with the infatuation from Kevin. The love story of Michael and Lauren, realizing they were the ones that were in love, while they were trying to help his brother, I thought was beautifully, beautifully written. I really loved it.
Image result for Tracey Bregman Young & the Restless
20. What are you afraid of?: I am afraid of small planes. My father [producer Buddy Bregman] was supposed to be on the plane with Mike Todd. He got a phone call literally as he was walking out the door that it saved his life.
21. Favorite Travel Destination: Europe. I really love to explore Italy.
22. What makes you smile?: My kids, my animals and my boyfriend. That kind of is a funny order.
I probably should say my kids, my boyfriend and my animals. Sorry. (laughs)
23. Do you play any musical instruments?: No. I'm just awful at that.
24. First Kiss?: My first kiss was on camera on Days of our Lives. It was so embarrassing. I had to do my first kiss when I was 15. He was over 18 and he was a smoker. I thought I was going to die. My character Donna got pregnant. We ran away. We were on a motorcycle. It was right around that fake musical show that we did. We were raising money for a CAT scan.
25. Favorite article of clothing: I know exactly what to tell you. It's my leather jacket. It's been to every destination.
26. Pets:  I have four dogs. I have four chickens and I have a horse. I live on a little ranch. I actually have animal stalls enough for about 75 animals, but I will not be filling them.
27. Pet peeves: Rudeness.
28. Favorite motto or quote?: "If you cannot be kind, at least have the decency to be vague." It's a sign I have in my dressing room.
29. First Car: I took over car payments of my mom's gold Honda Accord Hatchback. 
30. Do you have a favorite gizmo?: I just love my iPhone, and all the 'I's' -- iPad, iPhone.

No comments:

Post a Comment